888-313-0416 (Toll Free)
Attorney Hovey is a litigator primarily in the area of Family Law with experience in custody cases, including international and domestic child abduction, complex divorces, child support, adoption, and protection from abuse matters. He has argued on appeal before the Superior Court of Pennsylvania and practiced in Montgomery, Berks, Chester, Bucks, Delaware, Lehigh, Northampton, Lancaster, Lehigh, York, and Schuylkill counties.
Matt is originally from the heart of the state's working class coal region and grew up in Forty Fort, Pennsylvania (near Wilkes-Barre/Scranton), where his parents, sister, and brother still reside. Matt attended Wyoming Valley West High School and was a varsity letter recipient in swimming, water polo, and tennis. In 2006 he graduated from Moravian College with a major in Political Science and a minor in History. While at Moravian, Matt's accomplishments included serving as the president of the College's student government and captain of the ice hockey team. He also was one of two students selected to serve on the College's Presidential Search Committee, which earned him the Chairman's Pin for his service to Moravian College.
In 2009, Matt graduated from Villanova University School of Law. While at Villanova, he was a published member of the prestigious Law Review. His published article was both legal and political. The article presented how Congress can better address identity theft by illegal immigrants, who require identification documents to work in the United States, by strengthening prosecutors' ability to prosecute offenders of the Identity Theft Penalty Enhancement Act. The relevant opinion by the Supreme Court of United States (Flores-Figueroa v. United States, 129 S.Ct. 1886 (2009)), which considered the statutory interpretation issue at the heart of the article's argument, followed Matt's analysis of the appeal and the holding was consistent with his prediction.
Additionally, during law school, he interned with Federal District Judge James M. Munley of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and the legal department for the School District of Philadelphia. Following law school, Matt provided pro bono services for the Community Justice Project: Hispanic Outreach, a legal aid organization, in Reading, Pennsylvania. While working with the Project, Matt gained experience with both federal and state wage and hour laws.
Matt now lives in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, near his fianc'e, Kristin. He is a passionate sports fan and always welcomes a spirited discussion on any sport's topic -- especially the Phillies or Eagles! He is an avid reader and also enjoys photography, a hobby he inherited from his father, a professional photographer. Matt is very involved in our community and is currently serving on the Board of Directors for Boyertown Area Multi-Service Incorporated, the Board of Directors for the Moravian College Alumni Association, and is a member of the TriCounty Chamber of Commerce.
- Areas of Practice:
- Family Law (including Domestic and International Child Abduction)
- Real Estate Law
- Civil Litigation
- Unemployment Compensation
- Villanova University School of Law, Villanova, Pennsylvania,
Law Review: Villanova University's Law Review, Associate Writer
- Moravian College,
Honors: Chairman's Pin for Outstanding Service to the College
Honors: Pi Sigma Alpha Honor Society (Political Science)
Honors: Phi Alpha Theta Honor Society (History)
Honors: President and Treasurer, United Student Government
Honors: Captain, Moravian College Ice Hockey Team
Major: Political Science
- Published Works:
- "Oh, I'm Sorry, Did That Identity Belong To You? How Ignorance, Ambiguity and Identity Theft Create Opportunity for Immigration Reform in the United States", 54 Vill. L. Rev. 369, 2009
- Prince Law Offices' Blog
- Matthew T. Hovey, Esquire's Blog
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- Berks County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Past Employment Positions:
- Community Justice Project: Hispanic Outreach - Reading, Pennsylvania, Pro Bono Associate, November 2009 to February 2010
- School District of Philadelphia: Legal Department - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Specifically: Litigation, Civil Rights, and Governmental Departments), Law Clerk, Summer 2008
- Federal District Judge James M. Munley, United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania - Scranton, Pennsylvania, Legal Intern, Summer 2007
- Pro Bono Activities:
- Community Justice Project: Hispanic Outreach, Reading, Pennsylvania
- Wills for Heroes, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania
- Board of Directors, Boyertown Area Multi-Service Incorporated
- Board of Directors, Moravian College Alumni Association
- Member, TriCounty Chamber of Commerce